Public LifeSciences Company
Why Was I Introduced?
The governance chair is familiar with my approach and past success, and felt that this board would benefit from an independent Board Leadership Effectiveness Assessment.
- Clear identification of what works well with the board, what needs improvement, and what is missing
- Surfaced delicate and important role and responsibility issues
- Initiated dialogue to clarify chair and CEO roles
- Identified an unconscious split between board members with a long history with the company and newer board members, because of differences in shared experiences. Opening this up for discussion cleared the air and explained some previous attitudes and opinions on issues.
- Clarification of expectations among all directors
- Succinct recommendations in areas of board climate, board composition, roles and responsibilities, succession planning, and other governance issues
After the presentation of my findings to the board, the CEO expressed that he wanted to introduce me to the chairman of another Nasdaq company.
“I recommend Johanne to you, as she has just successfully completed and reported on an in-depth Board Performance Appraisal for our board.”
From the CEO:
“Extremely comprehensive Board Performance Appraisal.”
From an Independent Director:
“You did a very good job. I like the process, like the rigor, like the completeness and the sensitivity with which you presented tough issues. I like the individual profiles and how they lead to both learning for me as well as opportunity for team building.”
From the Governance Chair:
“I recommended you for this task because I felt that the depth of inquiry and the thoroughness of your approach are important to bring the board to a new level of quality and interaction. I found your work very complete and am glad that you brought to the surface a number of issues that have to be addressed to improve our effectiveness as a board. Your observations and recommendations go to the heart of what makes a board a team (and what gets in the way).”